Tips For Preventing Eyestrain
For most people, eyestrain results from focusing too intently on a screen and not blinking enough, according to AOA. To help relieve eyestrain, try to blink more or use artificial tears. Other tips AOA recommends to prevent eyestrain include:
- Ensure your working space is properly lit. This may mean closing blinds to prevent glare and avoiding fluorescent lights.
- To help diminish glare, place an anti-glare screen on your monitor and paint walls dark colors.
- Take regular rest breaks (every few hours for five minutes) to allow your eyes to relax.
- Position your monitor 20 to 26 inches away from your eyes.
- Ask your eye care provider about devices that might help, such as anti-reflective lenses or bifocal lenses.
- If the text size on your monitor is too small, adjust it until it is big enough to comfortably read. Generally, this means increasing the text size by about three times.
- If you are younger than 40, AOA recommends seeing an eye doctor at least every other year; people 40 and older should make annual appointments.