High school student who suffers cardiac arrest during gym class
Samuel Mazzeo stand out in the crowd. At 6-foot-5, the high school student played football, basketball and was on the weightlifting team.
On February, 23, the unforeseen occurred. Samuel went into cardiac arrest during gym class.
“I don’t remember that day at all. They told me I was running around like normal and I sat down because I wasn’t feeling good. And then I passed out and was unresponsive,” Mazzeo said.
Wendy Rogers, his physical education teacher rushed to Samuel and couldn’t find a pulse.
Rogers call the school nurse Amy Ponce.
“There was no time for us to be nervous or anxious. We had to do what needed to be She did CPR, while Secretary Hannah Hall brought the AED device and delivered a life saving electric shock to Mazzeo’s heart.
Assistant Principal Tim Light continued chest compressions.done,” Ponce said.
Thanks to this dream team of everyday school employees, Mazzeo regained consciousness and got to the hospital just in time.
“When I think about it, it’s crazy, I actually died. I never thought anything like that would ever happen,” said Mazzeo.
Mazzeo who was diagnosed with a heart ailment called ARVD, now has a pacemaker and defibrillator.
Source: ABC Action News WFTS Tampa Bay
CLICK HERE to learn more about CPR
Call 1-800.869.6970 to learn more