Firefighter knows the value of an AED firsthand
Les Morgan knows because his life was saved by the quick response of those around him Feb. 18. The 60-year-old firefighter with Schuylkill Hose Company No. 2 and borough resident responded to smoke in a structure and was handing his son, who is also a firefighter, a fire extinguisher when suddenly he was on the floor not breathing normally.
Les Morgan was suffering a cardiac arrest
EMS, firefighters and Schuylkill Haven Police Department officers all had a hand in saving Les Morgan. Kyle Morgan didn’t know everyone who helped save his father’s life, but trusted they knew what to do while he waited outside.
“He was down for less than two minutes,” Morgan said.
Within that time, 90 seconds of CPR was given and Morgan was shocked with the AED, which reads your heart rhythm and determines if a shock is needed. It then gives procedural instructions.
“A lot of people are afraid they are going to hurt someone,” by using the AED, Kyle Morgan said.
Every minute CPR is not given, the survival rate drops by 10 percent, according to the AHA.
About 70 percent of sudden cardiac arrests occur at home, while the remainder occur in public settings and nursing homes, according to the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation.
Call Now to speak with a UniFirst First Aid + Safety CPR/First Aid/AED Specialist
Click Here to learn more about AED/CPR/First Aid training
Click Here for webChat